14 March 2013

Oh Google! ..Why? Oh Why?

  • From the Google blog .. "We launched Google Reader in 2005 in an effort to make it easy for people to discover and keep tabs on their favorite websites. While the product has a loyal following, over the years usage has declined. So, on July 1, 2013, we will retire Google Reader."
  • This is disastrous news for a trader like me, working from home, who has so much time to kill in front of the screen. Looks like I will have to try and find an alternative (Feedly?). The "Shared Items" widget on the right hand column here might have to go if I can't find another way of posting shared items.
  • Anyone know of a good alternative? Does Yahoo have an RSS news aggregator? Is Yahoo Pipes the Google Reader equivalent? 
  • Makes me seriously wonder if I am relying too much on Google as I have ditched all my local Excel spreadsheets and am now keeping all my stuff in the cloud on Google Drive (eg all the risk/position tables published here are from extracted from my trade spreadsheets in Google Docs). What Google giveth, Google taketh away at their pleasure.

No comments: