13 June 2012

Dominic Sandbrook : Seasons in the Sun

Seasons in the Sun : The Battle for Britain, 1974-79 by Dominic Sandbrook. (1180 pages on my iPad font size setting). Telegraph review here.

Streets of London 1978/79
Excellent narrative history of the UK for those years. Particularly interesting for me as I was living in the UK during the latter part of that period. Reading this is like re-living part of my life, only with a lot more clarity and understanding of the events of the time (eg new found respect for Denis Healey after reading Ch 21). Lots of references to the pop groups (and some football+movies too) of the era, which I like reading about.

Author has written a whole series of books on UK history of recent years. "Never Had It So Good : A History of Britain from Suez to the Beatles 1956-63" now on my ever growing reading list.

My Rating : 5/5

1 comment:

Taichiseal said...

On to "Mad as Hell" by the same author now, about US history in the 1970s, from the end of Nixon onwards.