27 October 2011

Steve Jobs and Yo-Yo Ma

My favorite paragraph in the whole Steve Jobs book. I love the sound of the cello, and Yo-Yo Ma, for me, is the best.

There was one classical musician Jobs revered both as a person and as a performer: Yo-Yo Ma, the versatile virtuoso who is as sweet and profound as the tones he creates on his cello. They had met in 1981 when Jobs was at the Aspen Design Conference and Ma was at the Aspen Music Festival. Jobs tended to be deeply moved by artists who displayed purity, and he became a fan. He invited Ma to play at his wedding, but he was out of the country on tour. He came by Jobs' house a few years later, sat in the living room, pulled out his 1733 Stradivarius cello, and played Bach. "This is what I would have played for your wedding," he told them. Jobs teared up and told him, "You playing is the best argument I've heard for the existence of God, because I don't really believe a human alone can do this." On a subsequent visit Ma allowed Jobs' daughter Erin to hold the cello while they sat around the kitchen. By that time Jobs had been struck by cancer, and he made Ma promise to play at his funeral.

No comments: