27 May 2019

My Own Private Music Cloud (on YouTube)

In the process of turning YouTube into my own personal music cloud. [No restrictions on number of uploads and storage. Cool!].

Here's the link to the full playlist : My DJ2 (identical to Jukebox here, except that the videos that are blocked in YouTube should play in Jukebox as these are hosted elsewhere).















Addendum (28May2019) : Having played with this for about 2 months, here's what I have discovered about sharing music on YouTube that are not explicitly stated in their rules but seem to apply in practice. These are my observations only, may not be accurate.

  • As the account owner, I am able to access every single video/album that I post, so this really works well as my very own private music cloud (like Cloudbeats on a public plaform, only better as this works without the need to install an additional app). 
  • Complicated copyright rules govern what can and cannot be viewed by others. I still can't figure how these work exactly. Eg why is Dire Straits, Il Divo, Gipsy Kings (all about 47+ minutes long) viewable to the general public, but Simply Red (34 mins), Diana Krall and Elton John (both 47 mins), Bee Gees, Robbie Williams et al all not accessible? [Error message : "This video is not available"].
  • Seems like entire video/album by a single (Western) artist is mostly a no go, but sometimes you are allowed to do so.
  • Copyright owners and music publishers from the Far East are far more relaxed about music sharing and to date, I have not encountered any difficulty in sharing their music in any form and combination.
  • Compilation albums put together with a handful of songs from each of various artists does escape the copyright filter.
  • The Eagles are super protective of their work. It's the only video where I got the red "Blocked" indication from YouTube, meaning its blocked worldwide. All the other videos have the green "Public" stamp. [Addendum : The Beatles too - red alert]













No comments: