04 September 2009

Gold : Attempting Break on Monthly

  • Last 991.5
  • Break of weekly triangle at 977 exhibiting encouraging upside momentum (unlike recent TL breaks in FX which seem to have fizzled out somewhat)
  • Much more significant test of resistance on monthly chart going on now. Close above 990 for Sep09 would be positive
  • Ability of gold to rally in face of recent attempted USD strength another positive
  • Upcoming chart points = 1005 and 1031. Very important levels
  • Weekly triangle upside objective is appx 1108. Stop out if triangle damaged by subsequent price action.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey taichi
i've been reading ur blog since the 'old blog days'. When you put on a trade, do you have a stop loss? I have been learning so much from you, thank you!

Taichiseal said...

Usually no hard stops set. I compensate for this "high risk" by keeping positions really small. I only stop out of trades when the technicals I was originally looking for are CLEARLY invalidated. This is what I mean by "fuzzy exits".

In the case of the EDM0/Z0 spread recently, a clear hard stop was evident after watching it for months and thus, I was able to run a much bigger position in the trade than usual.

Taichiseal said...

Something that I covered in the old blog. Concept of Type 1 and Type 2 errors in statistical hypothesis testing adapted to Trend Following.

Type 1 error = Good trade exited pre-maturely

Type 2 error = Bad trade exited late

For me, I can live with higher incidences of Type 2 errors as a trade-off for avoiding more costly Type 1 errors. When a market trends, I do not want to get stopped out due to noise.