05 September 2012

Haruki Murakami : Sputnik Sweetheart

My favorite Murakami book by a long way. (I rate it even higher than Norwegian Wood). This is about unrequited love and repressed love and yearning. And loss of one's soul as one journeys through life. Beautiful prose tugs at one's heartstrings throughout.

"And it came to me then. That we were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they look like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they're nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we'd be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing."

"We each have a special something we can get only at a special time of our life. Like a small flame. A careful, fortunate few cherish that flame, nurture it, hold it as a torch to light their way. But once that flame goes out, it's gone forever. What I'd lost was not just Sumire, I'd lost that precious flame."

"But tomorrow I'll be a different person, never again the person I was. Not that anyone will notice after I'm back in Japan. On the outside nothing will be different. But something inside has burned up and vanished. Blood has been shed, and something inside me is gone. Face turned down, without a word, that something makes its exit. The door opens; the door shuts. The light goes out. This is the last day for the person I am right now. The very  last twilight. When dawn comes, the person I am won't be here anymore. Somebody else will occupy this body."

My rating : 5/5

No comments: